Saturday, September 13, 2008

Parents and Public Schools

I was talking to my daughters' piano teacher today about her son's reading. She knows I work for the local school district, and was frustrated because she wanted to help him to improve, yet had no idea how to do it.

I hear that frustration a lot, and to be honest, I've been there myself. I've only worked inside the system for the last four years. Before that I sat at home and wondered, What can I do? Am I doing everything I should be?

My blog will be done from the perspective of a mother who's worked hard to gain insights into teaching professionals and what they wish parents knew. A perspective, I believe my position as a Teacher's Assistant and a mother with children who have both excelled at and struggled with school has gained me.

I invite questions and comments, and would be delighted to hear from parents and professionals that have found successful solutions to problems. There's more than one 'right' way, and having worked with many children, I've found that no one technique works for everyone. It's a matter of trying again and again until you find something that works, so the more ideas we have, the better off we'll all be.

No comments: